Propane must ALWAYS be handled with CAUTION. If you think you smell propane in your home, business or the area around any gas equipment; or if a gas alarm signals the presence of propane, you should do the following:
1. Immediately shut off the storage tank’s service valve.
2. Eliminate all possible sources of ignition; extinguish all smoking materials and turn off any open flames.
3. Do NOT use any electrical switches, appliances, thermostats or telephones in the affected area.
4. Do NOT use a cell phone or any other electrically operated communications device.
5. Exit the building IMMEDIATELY.
6. Call Sandhills Propane and/or your local fire department from a cell phone or neighbor’s phone.
Even if you do not continue to smell propane, do not turn on the supply valve until a qualified Sandhills Propane service technician or emergency personnel tests for escaped propane. NEVER test for propane using an open flame. Only suitable leak detection devices should be used. Your Sandhills Propane service technician will check all of your appliances and re-light any gas pilots when the leak situation has been resolved.
For more Propane Safety Information, go to: www.propanesafety.com